Sunday, January 10, 2016

Everything is BIG in Texas!



After exploring the river walk at San Antonio, we drove to the German/Cowboy town of Fredericksburg. What a charming town! So much German and yet so western!  A great vibrant downtown area with really unique shopping. Absolutely loved Dooley’s 5c 10c 25c store……….an old dry goods/hardware store with things you haven’t seen or bought for many years like, panty hose, brush rollers, aprons, etc. Then the antique shop with a most unusual find that I have only seen in books……a chasity belt! Can you imagine really having to wear one of these????



  Then it was on to see the Enchanted Rock park. We hiked quite a ways up the rock before Claude called it quits and I chose not to go to the top without him. It still was a fun jaunt! Sedona sure enjoyed laying on the cool rock in the shade after about halfway up.

 

 

 




 

Of course, I had to check out the western store, Texas Jack’s. Great stuff but all was too small or too large. Just as well. Just had to go for a walk along the Guadalupe River and de-stress after driving. Then we decided to hit some thrift stores just for fun. Fantastic Finds was going to have a 25c sale on Thursday, so we decided to stick around to check it out. I messaged some friends on what was not to miss and dear artist/sculpter John Phelps said we should eat at the Cowboy Steakhouse and be sure to have a Jalepeno Margerita…so we did; amazing drink! I am hooked now. The steak was super thick and delicious with mesquite smoking before broiling. YUM! We treated Sedona with a few bites and she greatly appreciated that.

 

Having heard a lot of buzz about kolaches and seeing a donut shop that specialized in them we planned to pick up a couple . We tried the apple and cherry, along with a raspberry filled chocolate iced long john! OMG! It was superb! We shared that one and Claude ended up not being able to resist eating half of my cherry one, in addition to the apple I got for him. They also come in savory with sausage and such…you bet I will try them next!




 

Since the fog was still hanging around a little and we had a little spare time, we explored the park along the Guadalupe River. Great photo opp for birds! I got real lucky and captured a few!

 

Of course, Sedona wanted to chase the squirrel who posed for me….then there was the goose and gander along with some other ducks with unusual coloring.

 
 


 

Time for the sale….we had no idea where to enter…then a lady informed us the long line was formed around the other side of the store!  So, you guessed it, most of the things I had spued that I would grab for 25c was gone…but we managed a few nice things, including a great handmade leather belt for me along with a leather dress and some storage containers for thr RV. Most of the fun was the conversation with the locals…you can’t put a price on that! They say everything in Texas is BIG…they meant the bugs, too, evidently. This one looked like he was made of a silver metal. Yuch!



 

On the road again, headed for Ft. Stockton….had no idea it would be so desolute…no buildings or anything as far as the eye can see and very little traffic on I-10…rather spooky! Grateful when we pulled in to Hilltop RV for the night, just in time to see a Texas sized sunset!
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment